'Tis the season to get out the good silverware. Give our super easy polishing trick a try.
1. Cover the bottom of a glass pan with heavy duty aluminum foil.
2. Mix together equal parts of baking soda and salt (about 1 teaspoon each), and add to the pan. Boil water and fill 2/3 of the pan.
3. Add silver pieces, making sure they all touch the foil.
4. Let stand about 8 minutes and watch the tarnish disappear.
5. Remove silver, rinse and dry with a soft, clean cloth. Repeat with the rest of your silver in the same solution.
Bonus: Works for jewellery, too!
Why does silver tarnish?
Tarnish occurs when silver comes into contact with sulphur particles in the air. Typically, silver is sold in a wooden box with Pacific cloth (flannel infused with silver particles) or Kenized cloth (flannel treated with zinc derivatives) to protect it. To help prevent tarnish, you can also store your silver in resealable, airtight plastic bags.