Recipe by David Grenier
Photography by James Tse
First published in Wish November 2008
FOOD >> RECIPE
Shake & Bake Coq au Vin
Warm up with this cozy and satisfying chicken dish
Ingredients (Serves 6)
|¼ cup||all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp||sea salt|
|1 tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|12||chicken thighs, skinless, boneless|
|2 cups||dry white wine|
|2 cups||low-sodium chicken stock|
|4 cloves||garlic, smashed|
|1 cup||diced bacon (about 4 slices)|
|1 lb||small new potatoes, halved (about 3 cups)|
|1 lb||baby carrots (about 3 cups)|
|6||fresh thyme sprigs|
- In a plastic bag, combine flour, salt, pepper and chicken. Shake to coat and transfer chicken to a plate.
- In a pot, combine wine, stock, garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet, brown bacon over medium-high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Working in batches, cook chicken in bacon fat until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer back to plate.
- Add shallots, potatoes and carrots to skillet and sauté 1 minute. Add wine mixture and scrape up any caramelized bits from bottom. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken and bacon to skillet, add thyme and reduce heat, simmering until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
Nutrients per serving: 396 calories, 15 g fat, 26 g protein, 27 g carbs, 3 g fibre. Excellent source of vitamin A and folate.