Recipes Developed by Karen Barnaby
Photography by Douglas Bradshaw
Food Styling by Claire Stubbs
Prop Styling by Jane Hardin
First published in Wish Winter 2005
Greek Shepherd's Pie
Based on the Greek casserole pastitsio, this recipe uses brown rice for the pasta, and feta-spiked squash for the creamy cheese topping.
Ingredients (Makes 8 servings)
|2||pounds extra-lean ground beef|
|1||cup finely chopped onion|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
cup tomato purée
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1||cup long-grain brown rice, cooked|
|1||2-pound spaghetti squash, cooked|
|1||cup 1% milk|
|1/2||cup crumbled feta cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large non-stick skillet, combine beef, onion and garlic, and cook over high heat, crumbling beef until it loses its red colour.
- Add tomato purée, water, oregano, cinnamon and cooked rice. Simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The beef mixture should be juicy but not watery. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and milk together. Add feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper and fold in squash.
- Place beef mixture into a 9" x 13" baking dish and spread squash mixture evenly overtop.
- Bake for 45 minutes until topping is set. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Soak brown rice prior to cooking. It will reduce your cooking time by half.
The beef mixture and squash can be made ahead of time. Cover separately and refrigerate for up to 2 days. If beef mixture is cold from the fridge, bake for an extra 15 minutes.
Nutrients per serving: 375 calories, 14 g fat, 32 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 303 mg sodium. Excellent source of vitamins B6, B12 and D, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, iron, phosphorus, zinc and magnesium.