Photography by Michael Alberstat
Food styling by Sue Henderson
Prop styling by Lara McGraw
First published in Wish September 2004
When this sauce is simmering, a feast is in the making.
Ingredients (Makes 6 cups)
|1/2 cup||olive oil|
|3||cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped|
|1||large white onion, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 tsp||chili flakes|
|8 cups||blanched and peeled roma tomatoes, or two 28-oz cans whole plum tomatoes, juice included|
|1/4 cup||tomato paste|
|1 tbsp||granulated sugar|
|1/4 cup||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 tbsp||chopped fresh marjoram|
|1 tbsp||chopped fresh basil|
|1 tbsp||kosher salt|
- Warm olive oil in a large stainless steel pot.
- Add garlic, white onions and chili flakes, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow tomato sauce to cool slightly.
- Purée sauce in a food processor or pass through a food mill. Return to pot and reheat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, herbs and salt.
- Use in your favourite recipe or refrigerate, freeze or can.