Photography by James Tse
Food Styling by Ruth Gangbar
First published in Wish February 2005
Yukon Gold Frites
Pass the ketchup, please.
|Yukon gold potatoes|
- Leaving the skins on, cut potatoes into thick matchsticks (allow one potato per person) and place in cold water for a minimum of 1 hour, or even the day before.
- Drain and pat potatoes dry with paper towel.
- Using a wok or deep fryer, heat sunflower oil to 250 F and blanch potatoes for approximately 5 minutes or until potato is slightly cooked but no colour has developed. Drain on paper towels.
- Raise heat of oil to 375 F and drop in blanched fries. Cook until golden, 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve.
Nutrients per 3-ounce serving: 319 calories,5 g protein, 17.4 g fat, 37.5 g carbohydrates, g fibre. Excellent source vitamins B6 and C.