DECOR >> ORGANIZING
27 Designer Organizing Tips
Expert organizers solve storage dilemmas and tell us their space saving secrets.
Tips from decor dynamos Colin and Justin, hosts of How NOT to Decorate and Home Heist.
- Shoes at a glance. “Never throw away shoe boxes. These tailor-made gems provide perfect protection for your Imelda Marcos predilections and they’re the ideal mounting block onto which you can affix a Polaroid of what lies inside!”
- Hanger help. “Hanging is a great way to air out garments and keep everything fresh, but never ever hang anything on wire coat hangers. Those spindly devils can damage even the most neatly suspended garment.”
- Reduce wrinkles. “We keep our neck ties rolled up in neat coils, thus avoiding creases and dispensing with the need for ironing when they’re next worn.”
Advice from Adrian Mainella, host of Fashion File.
- Collection preview. “How can you pick out the proper outfit if you can’t see your clothes? Install interior lighting in your closet.”
- Sole Saviour. “Include proper shoe racks with shoe trees so that your shoes stay in shape.”
- Pant trick. “You should hang most pants but you can fold jeans, and track and yoga pants.”
Designer Kim Newport-Mimran of Canadian fashion label Pink Tartan shares her storage secrets.
- Edit Smarts. “If you haven’t worn something in a year, store it or give it away. When in doubt, toss it. It’s taking up valuable space.”
- Belt Help. “Hang belts on hooks inside closet doors. This way, they’re easy to find and always within reach.”
- Organize By Colour. “Give yourself a head start when getting dressed in the morning by grouping similar shades together.”
Closet gurus Connie and Julia Carmichael of Method Organization + Design offer storage advice.
- Seasons change. “Store out-of-season clothes in other areas of your home and vacuum-pack bulky coats and sweaters to save space.”
- Secret Storage. “Use the area under your bed to hide trundle drawers. They’re ideal space-savers.”
- Pretty Piles. “Keep shelves tidy. We suggest stacking five tees and three sweaters per pile. Install more shelves if neccessary.”
- Get Hooked. “Hang a valet hook on the inside of your closet door. Use it to hang incoming dry cleaning or tomorrow’s outfit.”
First published in Wish September 2007