Recipe by LeeAnne Wright
Photography by James Tse
Food styling by Ian Muggridge
Prop styling by Jane Hardin
First published in Wish March 2006
FOODJoin the 20-Minute Supper Club»
Grilled Alberta Flank Steak
Paired with a mustard sauce, this dish is a deliciously simple and unique alternative to burgers this Canada Day.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
|1 lb||flank steak|
|3 tbsp||chopped shallots|
|1 tbsp||unsalted butter|
|1 tbsp||mustard seeds|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tbsp||35% cream|
|mushrooms and onions, sautéed|
- Preheat grill or oven broiler to medium-high. Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Put aside, loosely cover with foil and let rest.
- In a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat, cook shallots in butter until soft but not coloured. Sprinkle in mustard seeds and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
- Deglaze* with chicken stock (add just enough stock to cover surface of pan) and continue to cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Finish sauce with mustard and cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain and drizzle with warm sauce.
- Serve with a favourite sauté, such as mushrooms and onions.
Per serving: 490 calories, 27 g fat, 53 g protein, 6 g carbs, 2 g fibre. Excellent source of vitamins B6, B12 and D.